comp.lang.idl-pvwave archive
Messages from Usenet group comp.lang.idl-pvwave, compiled by Paulo Penteado

Show: Today's Messages :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
E-mail to friend
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Floating bases in IDL 5.6 vs. IDL 5.4 [message #35973] Tue, 05 August 2003 15:05 Go to next message
portshome is currently offline  portshome
Messages: 10
Registered: August 2003
Junior Member
A little background, I am using Windows 2000 19" dual monitors and IDL
5.6.

If I declare a top level WIDGET_BASE, using the following syntax

tlb = WIDGET_BASE(/ROW, /FLOATING, GROUP_LEADER=event.top)

then in IDL 5.4 this "child" base of event.top, tlb, would appear
centered over event.top no matter where on my dual monitors event.top
happened to be (first monitor or second monitor). However, in IDL 5.6,
if event.top happens to be in the second monitor, the tlb stops right
at the edge of the first monitor! It seems to want to be centered over
the parent base, but can't make it past the edge of the first monitor.

What's going on here? Why does something that used to work, all of a
sudden doesn't? Does anyone have any explanation as to why this would
be and what I can do about it?

Thanks,
PJ
Re: Floating bases in IDL 5.6 vs. IDL 5.4 [message #36030 is a reply to message #35973] Fri, 08 August 2003 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rick Towler is currently offline  Rick Towler
Messages: 821
Registered: August 1998
Senior Member
"PJL" wrote in message...

> Ok First time I read this post I had no clue what you meant by SP-4.
>
> IDL v5.4 is running on Windows 2000 Version 5.0 Build 2195:
> Service Pack 4
> IDL v5.6 is running on Windows 2000 Version 5.0 Build 2195:
> Service Pack 2
>
> Go Figure!

I can confirm that the behavior you see in 5.6 is also present in 5.5 and
6.0 on my machine. Win2k SP-4, nVidia GF-4 running 44.03 drivers and
"DualView".

Do the graphics cards and display drivers match on your two test machines?
There are a few different ways to span your desktop on multi-headed windows
machines (at least with nVidia hardware) and I don't think you will be able
to determine the cause until you can test 5.4 and 5.6 on the same machine.

-Rick
Re: Floating bases in IDL 5.6 vs. IDL 5.4 [message #36032 is a reply to message #35973] Fri, 08 August 2003 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"Rick Towler" <rtowler@u.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<bgtt83$2bvu$1@nntp6.u.washington.edu>...
> "PJL" wrote in message...
>> A little background, I am using Windows 2000 19" dual monitors and IDL
>> 5.6.
>>
>> If I declare a top level WIDGET_BASE, using the following syntax
>>
>> tlb = WIDGET_BASE(/ROW, /FLOATING, GROUP_LEADER=event.top)
>>
>> then in IDL 5.4 this "child" base of event.top, tlb, would appear
>> centered over event.top no matter where on my dual monitors event.top
>> happened to be (first monitor or second monitor). However, in IDL 5.6,
>> if event.top happens to be in the second monitor, the tlb stops right
>> at the edge of the first monitor! It seems to want to be centered over
>> the parent base, but can't make it past the edge of the first monitor.
>>
>> What's going on here? Why does something that used to work, all of a
>> sudden doesn't? Does anyone have any explanation as to why this would
>> be and what I can do about it?
>

> Do you have 5.4 *and* 5.6 installed on your machine that you test side by
> side or are you remembering how 5.4 used to behave? Not that I am
> questioning your memory :)
>
> I have noticed that after installing SP-4 certain applications (not IDL, I
> haven't tested it) suffer from this same behavior where child windows that
> used to be centered on their parent on the 2nd monitor now are "realized" on
> the edge 1st monitor.
>
> Maybe this isn't an issue with 5.6?
>
> -Rick

Ok First time I read this post I had no clue what you meant by SP-4.

IDL v5.4 is running on Windows 2000 Version 5.0 Build 2195: Service Pack 4
IDL v5.6 is running on Windows 2000 Version 5.0 Build 2195: Service Pack 2

Go Figure!
Re: Floating bases in IDL 5.6 vs. IDL 5.4 [message #36033 is a reply to message #35973] Fri, 08 August 2003 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
portshome is currently offline  portshome
Messages: 10
Registered: August 2003
Junior Member
"Rick Towler" <rtowler@u.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<bgtt83$2bvu$1@nntp6.u.washington.edu>...
> "PJL" wrote in message...
>> A little background, I am using Windows 2000 19" dual monitors and IDL
>> 5.6.
>>
>> If I declare a top level WIDGET_BASE, using the following syntax
>>
>> tlb = WIDGET_BASE(/ROW, /FLOATING, GROUP_LEADER=event.top)
>>
>> then in IDL 5.4 this "child" base of event.top, tlb, would appear
>> centered over event.top no matter where on my dual monitors event.top
>> happened to be (first monitor or second monitor). However, in IDL 5.6,
>> if event.top happens to be in the second monitor, the tlb stops right
>> at the edge of the first monitor! It seems to want to be centered over
>> the parent base, but can't make it past the edge of the first monitor.
>>
>> What's going on here? Why does something that used to work, all of a
>> sudden doesn't? Does anyone have any explanation as to why this would
>> be and what I can do about it?
>

> Do you have 5.4 *and* 5.6 installed on your machine that you test side by
> side or are you remembering how 5.4 used to behave? Not that I am
> questioning your memory :)
>
> I have noticed that after installing SP-4 certain applications (not IDL, I
> haven't tested it) suffer from this same behavior where child windows that
> used to be centered on their parent on the 2nd monitor now are "realized" on
> the edge 1st monitor.
>
> Maybe this isn't an issue with 5.6?
>
> -Rick

Actually these are 2 different computers (similar hardware, same
version of Windows, same monitor configuration) one running IDL v5.4
and one running IDL v5.6. So I have switched back and forth between
the two and that's how I noticed the problem in the first place. So it
seems a little crazy to me that I should have to compensate (with
XOFFSET and YOFFSET) for what an older version of IDL used to handle
with no problem.
Re: Floating bases in IDL 5.6 vs. IDL 5.4 [message #36054 is a reply to message #35973] Thu, 07 August 2003 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"PJL" wrote in message...
> A little background, I am using Windows 2000 19" dual monitors and IDL
> 5.6.
>
> If I declare a top level WIDGET_BASE, using the following syntax
>
> tlb = WIDGET_BASE(/ROW, /FLOATING, GROUP_LEADER=event.top)
>
> then in IDL 5.4 this "child" base of event.top, tlb, would appear
> centered over event.top no matter where on my dual monitors event.top
> happened to be (first monitor or second monitor). However, in IDL 5.6,
> if event.top happens to be in the second monitor, the tlb stops right
> at the edge of the first monitor! It seems to want to be centered over
> the parent base, but can't make it past the edge of the first monitor.
>
> What's going on here? Why does something that used to work, all of a
> sudden doesn't? Does anyone have any explanation as to why this would
> be and what I can do about it?

Do you have 5.4 *and* 5.6 installed on your machine that you test side by
side or are you remembering how 5.4 used to behave? Not that I am
questioning your memory :)

I have noticed that after installing SP-4 certain applications (not IDL, I
haven't tested it) suffer from this same behavior where child windows that
used to be centered on their parent on the 2nd monitor now are "realized" on
the edge 1st monitor.

Maybe this isn't an issue with 5.6?

-Rick
Re: Floating bases in IDL 5.6 vs. IDL 5.4 [message #36062 is a reply to message #35973] Wed, 06 August 2003 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
westrick85 is currently offline  westrick85
Messages: 3
Registered: August 2003
Junior Member
portshome@yahoo.com (PJL) wrote in message news:<ab0cf544.0308051405.28337885@posting.google.com>...
> However, in IDL 5.6,
> if event.top happens to be in the second monitor, the tlb stops right
> at the edge of the first monitor!

I have seen the same thing in IDL 5.6. My guess is that the good folks
at RSI attempted to "correct" the problem of dialog windows popping up
smack dab in the middle of where your dual monitors meet.

An ugly workaround is to use the XOFFSET and YOFFSET keywords to
widget_control to move your dialog back to the center AFTER you
realize your floating base. Users will see the window appear on the
left monitor and then "jump" into position on the right monitor.

Corey
Re: Floating bases in IDL 5.6 vs. IDL 5.4 [message #36215 is a reply to message #36030] Mon, 11 August 2003 09:06 Go to previous message
"Rick Towler" <rtowler@u.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<bh192r$1km6$1@nntp6.u.washington.edu>...

> I can confirm that the behavior you see in 5.6 is also present in 5.5 and
> 6.0 on my machine. Win2k SP-4, nVidia GF-4 running 44.03 drivers and
> "DualView".
>
> Do the graphics cards and display drivers match on your two test machines?
> There are a few different ways to span your desktop on multi-headed windows
> machines (at least with nVidia hardware) and I don't think you will be able
> to determine the cause until you can test 5.4 and 5.6 on the same machine.
>
> -Rick

I was able to get IDL v5.6 installed on this machine today. So now I
am running both versions on Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 with dual
nVidia video cards (one is a GeForce2 GTS/GeForce 2 PRO and the other
is a GeForce2 MX 100/200) but they are both using the same video
drivers. I tried tweaking the nView properties such as montior
spanning and child window management but that didn't have any effect -
same problems.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ] [ PDF ]

Current Time: Sun Nov 29 02:14:40 PST 2020

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00830 seconds