comp.lang.idl-pvwave archive
Messages from Usenet group comp.lang.idl-pvwave, compiled by Paulo Penteado

Home » Public Forums » archive » RSI Red Hat Linux Info
Show: Today's Messages :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
E-mail to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
RSI Red Hat Linux Info [message #37188] Tue, 02 December 2003 10:43 Go to next message
Research Systems Inc. is currently offline  Research Systems Inc.
Messages: 33
Registered: May 1997
Member
Red Hat's recent announcement that they are discontinuing their free Linux
distributions has prompted questions and speculation over the impact this
will have on IDL, and which Linux distributions RSI will support in the
future. We hope you will find the following FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
helpful:

http://www.rsinc.com/services/techtip.asp?ttid=3618

Knowing where you are headed with Linux will help us to be ready and waiting
when you get there. Please share your plans with us regarding future Linux
use by filling out our online survey:

http://www.rsinc.com/survey/index.asp?wid=763369&sid=73

Thank you for your valuable input.

Sincerely,
Stephanie Staley
IDL Technical Product Manager
RSI
Re: RSI Red Hat Linux Info [message #37231 is a reply to message #37188] Mon, 08 December 2003 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel Wade is currently offline  Nigel Wade
Messages: 286
Registered: March 1998
Senior Member
Reimar Bauer wrote:

>
> Dear all,
>
> if I go to http://www.rsinc.com/survey/index.asp?wid=763369&sid=73 I got
> the following statement:
>
> {{{
> Survey Successfully Completed Already
>
> Thank you for completing the survey. You completed this survey on
> 12/1/2003. Click here to return to our main page.
> }}}
>
>

Same here.

Maybe I did it in while I wasn't looking ;-)


--
Nigel Wade, System Administrator, Space Plasma Physics Group,
University of Leicester, Leicester, LE1 7RH, UK
E-mail : nmw@ion.le.ac.uk
Phone : +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555
Re: RSI Red Hat Linux Info [message #37258 is a reply to message #37188] Fri, 05 December 2003 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
R.Bauer is currently offline  R.Bauer
Messages: 1424
Registered: November 1998
Senior Member
RSI Information wrote:
> Red Hat's recent announcement that they are discontinuing their free Linux
> distributions has prompted questions and speculation over the impact this
> will have on IDL, and which Linux distributions RSI will support in the
> future. We hope you will find the following FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
> helpful:
>
> http://www.rsinc.com/services/techtip.asp?ttid=3618
>
> Knowing where you are headed with Linux will help us to be ready and waiting
> when you get there. Please share your plans with us regarding future Linux
> use by filling out our online survey:
>
> http://www.rsinc.com/survey/index.asp?wid=763369&sid=73
>
> Thank you for your valuable input.
>
> Sincerely,
> Stephanie Staley
> IDL Technical Product Manager
> RSI
>
>

Dear all,

if I go to http://www.rsinc.com/survey/index.asp?wid=763369&sid=73 I got
the following statement:

{{{
Survey Successfully Completed Already

Thank you for completing the survey. You completed this survey on
12/1/2003. Click here to return to our main page.
}}}


The message was posted on 12/2/2003.

Reimar
Re: RSI Red Hat Linux Info [message #37262 is a reply to message #37188] Wed, 03 December 2003 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JD Smith is currently offline  JD Smith
Messages: 850
Registered: December 1999
Senior Member
On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 11:43:58 -0700, RSI Information wrote:

> Red Hat's recent announcement that they are discontinuing their free
> Linux distributions has prompted questions and speculation over the
> impact this will have on IDL, and which Linux distributions RSI will
> support in the future. We hope you will find the following FAQ
> (Frequently Asked Questions) helpful:
>
> http://www.rsinc.com/services/techtip.asp?ttid=3618
>
> Knowing where you are headed with Linux will help us to be ready and
> waiting when you get there. Please share your plans with us regarding
> future Linux use by filling out our online survey:
>
> http://www.rsinc.com/survey/index.asp?wid=763369&sid=73

This FAQ lists the points of exposure for IDL to the underlyling
OS, which included the C library, the compiler, the kernel
version, and presumably all the tools used in the rsi/idl/bin/ shell
scripts.

In decreasing order of importance, these are:

1. C library: This is a big dependency for most packages, so care is
usually taken to prevent egregious breakage. Witness IDL6.0
binary compatibility with RH 7.1,7.2,...,8.0,9.0.

2. gcc: Aside from compiling IDL, the compiler is used only for
MAKE_DLL, which is not guaranteed to work without further setup
anyway. Not a big point of exposure.

3. kernel: Shared memory and vagaries of memory management might be
indicated, but these features already vary from system to system far
more than they do from kernel version to kernel version, and the
documentation warns about these variances already.

4. /bin/sh and other tools: These have been stable for a long time,
and, with care, shell scripts which have next to no system dependence
can be written. It's quite likely the scripts are already completely
system-independent, since they've had to work with so many flavors of
Unix over the years.

Since it's relatively easy to check what version of these 4 categories
are present (with #4 being hardest to check, but really a non-issue),
I still think RSI could, without actually installing and testing every
Linux distribution, compose a list indicating which
distributions/versions satisfy these basic conditions -- i.e. a
"should work, but tell us if it doesn't" category.

JD
Re: RSI Red Hat Linux Info [message #37333 is a reply to message #37258] Tue, 09 December 2003 14:15 Go to previous message
Andry William Ratsima[1] is currently offline  Andry William Ratsima[1]
Messages: 5
Registered: December 2003
Junior Member
Dear all:

> if I go to http://www.rsinc.com/survey/index.asp?wid=763369&sid=73 I got
> the following statement:
>
> {{{
> Survey Successfully Completed Already
>
> Thank you for completing the survey. You completed this survey on
> 12/1/2003. Click here to return to our main page.
> }}}

I have been checking about this. I also got the same answer. Then,
I decided I will remove www.rsinc.com cookies before going to the
survey page again.
I was, then, able to fill the form. The only problem is that if I
come back to the survey page again, I seem to be able to re-submit
a new form ???

(BTW, I am using mozilla 1.0.1 on a Red Hat 8.0 linux).

Andry
Re: RSI Red Hat Linux Info [message #37338 is a reply to message #37188] Tue, 09 December 2003 10:53 Go to previous message
marcuirl is currently offline  marcuirl
Messages: 14
Registered: December 2003
Junior Member
Pertti Rautiainen <pertti@sun3.oulu.fi> writes:

> Ben Panter <See@the_end.not> wrote:
>
>
> : RSI Information wrote:
> : > Sorry, folks. Use this URL instead of the one I posted:
> : >
> : > http://www.rsinc.com/survey/index.asp?sid=73
> : >
>
> : Which does the same again... (mozilla)
>
> And Mozilla Firebird, my favourite browser. However, no problems with
> Opera.

Not with Mozilla 1.1

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.1) Gecko/20020827

works fine!

marcu
--
Unless otherwise noted, the statements herein reflect my
personal opinions and not those of any organisation with
which I may be affiliated.
Re: RSI Red Hat Linux Info [message #37345 is a reply to message #37188] Tue, 09 December 2003 07:10 Go to previous message
Pertti Rautiainen is currently offline  Pertti Rautiainen
Messages: 5
Registered: October 2002
Junior Member
Ben Panter <See@the_end.not> wrote:


: RSI Information wrote:
: > Sorry, folks. Use this URL instead of the one I posted:
: >
: > http://www.rsinc.com/survey/index.asp?sid=73
: >

: Which does the same again... (mozilla)

And Mozilla Firebird, my favourite browser. However, no problems with
Opera.

Pertti Rautiainen
Re: RSI Red Hat Linux Info [message #37351 is a reply to message #37188] Tue, 09 December 2003 05:58 Go to previous message
Ben Panter is currently offline  Ben Panter
Messages: 102
Registered: July 2003
Senior Member
RSI Information wrote:
> Sorry, folks. Use this URL instead of the one I posted:
>
> http://www.rsinc.com/survey/index.asp?sid=73
>

Which does the same again... (mozilla)

--
Ben Panter, Edinburgh
My name (no spaces)@bigfoot which is a com.
Re: RSI Red Hat Linux Info [message #37364 is a reply to message #37231] Mon, 08 December 2003 13:38 Go to previous message
Research Systems Inc. is currently offline  Research Systems Inc.
Messages: 33
Registered: May 1997
Member
Sorry, folks. Use this URL instead of the one I posted:

http://www.rsinc.com/survey/index.asp?sid=73

Thanks,

Stephanie

"Nigel Wade" <nmw@ion.le.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:br1la4$e5$1@south.jnrs.ja.net...
> Reimar Bauer wrote:
>
>>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> if I go to http://www.rsinc.com/survey/index.asp?wid=763369&sid=73 I got
>> the following statement:
>>
>> {{{
>> Survey Successfully Completed Already
>>
>> Thank you for completing the survey. You completed this survey on
>> 12/1/2003. Click here to return to our main page.
>> }}}
>>
>>
>
> Same here.
>
> Maybe I did it in while I wasn't looking ;-)
>
>
> --
> Nigel Wade, System Administrator, Space Plasma Physics Group,
> University of Leicester, Leicester, LE1 7RH, UK
> E-mail : nmw@ion.le.ac.uk
> Phone : +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555
>
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Re: ActiveContours
Next Topic: Re: Using FFTW with IDL??

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ] [ PDF ]

Current Time: Sun Nov 29 01:51:50 PST 2020

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00713 seconds