comp.lang.idl-pvwave archive
Messages from Usenet group comp.lang.idl-pvwave, compiled by Paulo Penteado

Show: Today's Messages :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
E-mail to friend
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: IDL6.0 and Mac OS 10.3 [message #37373] Tue, 16 December 2003 06:57 Go to next message
btt is currently offline  btt
Messages: 345
Registered: December 2000
Senior Member
Henry Roe wrote:
> I upgraded to 10.3 on powerbook G4 a few weeks ago. Everything,
> including IDL6.0, works fine except the version of GNUemacs I was
> using stopped working. It took some hunting but I found a stable beta
> xemacs which works with only one or two (non-significant and
> non-dangerous) quirks.
>
> -Henry

Hi,

Which version of xemacs did you get working?

I have made a (New Years's) resolution to use IDLWAVE but I have been
unable to get emacs to work. It's the perfect excuse for not following
my resolution, but I really have the time to learn emacs now!

IDL 6.0 personal license on a G4 OS 10.3 (upgrade) works just fine for us.

Ben
Re: IDL6.0 and Mac OS 10.3 [message #37380 is a reply to message #37373] Mon, 15 December 2003 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
henrygroe is currently offline  henrygroe
Messages: 30
Registered: August 2003
Member
I upgraded to 10.3 on powerbook G4 a few weeks ago. Everything,
including IDL6.0, works fine except the version of GNUemacs I was
using stopped working. It took some hunting but I found a stable beta
xemacs which works with only one or two (non-significant and
non-dangerous) quirks.

-Henry
Re: IDL6.0 and Mac OS 10.3 [message #37384 is a reply to message #37380] Mon, 15 December 2003 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
profxtjb is currently offline  profxtjb
Messages: 22
Registered: October 2003
Junior Member
"Richard G. French" <rfrench@wellesley.edu> wrote in message news:<BC031785.129B%rfrench@wellesley.edu>...

> Now for my question - I've heard some horror stories about problems
> installing Panther on existing systems. Has anyone out there upgraded from
> 10.2 to 10.3 on a PowerBook G4? Any problems with the upgrade or with IDL?

I purchased the Panther CD and upgraded to Panther on my 17-inch G4
without serious mishap. I have had a LOT of trouble with the Apple
Software Update over the network. It seems to correlate with my brief
epsiodes of nastiness with the new machine, so I do not use it anymore
if I can help it.

With IDL use, I had a few headaches -- related to getting my csh.cshrc
replaced (with default) during the Panther upgrade. I had to go back
in and slip in the IDL-specific lines.

At the same time, I entered a line to enable keycode 66 to operate as
'Alt_L'. This makes the Alt key work normally. Alt-x is now the
usual editing 'cut' etc. IDL was a pain in the neck without that Alt
key!

Making use of the virtual machine is important to me, so what I have
been working on the last few days has to do with the VM having
arguments with X11 and OpenGL. E.g., One of my graphics objects
practice programs runs good in idlde but did not run completely in the
vm; it opened the draw widget but no image. As an experiment, I
started up the x-window in Pseudo Color, with color depth 8, and the
same object graphics project gets the image but the trackball doesn't
work (no OpenGL, I guess). I did try out a simple widget program with
2D direct graphics, and it worked fine in VM. I think I will get it
sorted out eventually.

I suppose there will be more headaches, but those are the ones I have
encountered. Some small and some bigger.

-Thomas
Re: IDL6.0 and Mac OS 10.3 [message #37385 is a reply to message #37384] Mon, 15 December 2003 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MKatz843 is currently offline  MKatz843
Messages: 98
Registered: March 2002
Member
"Richard G. French" <rfrench@wellesley.edu> wrote in message
> Now for my question - I've heard some horror stories about problems
> installing Panther on existing systems. Has anyone out there upgraded from
> 10.2 to 10.3 on a PowerBook G4? Any problems with the upgrade or with IDL?

I've got several systems to upgrade, and I've only done one so far. I
had no problems whatsoever.

I updated a G3 iBook running Mac OS X 10.2.8 from IDL 5.6 to IDL 6.0
about 3 weeks ago. That worked fine. This weekend, I installed OS X
10.3 (Panther) and its update as an Upgrade, not as a "clean install."

Everything works perfectly. I had no trouble launching IDL from the
get go. I run X11, then launch IDL. All of my startup scripts and
configurations were the same as before. No need to reset paths or
anything. It was more trouble upgrading from IDL 5.6 to 6.0 for me
than anything with Panther.

After 2 days, I'm enjoying all of the velvety Panther goodness. There
are a few minor interface changes, probably for the better, and
nothing I'd complain about.

I too was worried because a number of people are reporting problems
with MS Word quitting upon launch; and another program I rely on,
called Canvas 9, by ACD/Debena, has also had some similar issues. I'm
happy to report: no problems so far.

So, backup your critical work, then jump in, the water's fine.

M. Katz
Re: IDL6.0 and Mac OS 10.3 [message #37389 is a reply to message #37385] Mon, 15 December 2003 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K. Bowman is currently offline  K. Bowman
Messages: 330
Registered: May 2000
Senior Member
In article <BC031785.129B%rfrench@wellesley.edu>,
"Richard G. French" <rfrench@wellesley.edu> wrote:

> Now for my question - I've heard some horror stories about problems
> installing Panther on existing systems. Has anyone out there upgraded from
> 10.2 to 10.3 on a PowerBook G4? Any problems with the upgrade or with IDL?

We have had only minor problems upgrading clients to 10.3. On a few
desktop clients it took several tries to get them to connect to the
directory server and authenticate (using LDAP to an XServe running
10.3). We had to remove all directory information and then recreate it
(5 minutes per client). We did "update" upgrades, not "archive and
install" or "clean install". I have upgraded two PowerBooks and an
iBook without any problems (none use LDAP). As always, backup essential
files before installing!

Our server has been a different matter. We have ongoing issues with it
(server crashes, NFS problems, file service disconnects) that may or may
not be related to 10.3. This has gone on for several months with two
different server hardware configurations, so we intend to move our home
directories from our XServe to a Linux server. If the stability does
not improve, we will shift other services until we reach a satisfactory
state. Other things on the server have improved. Mail seems to work
well, and LDAP is good once you get it set up.

Our XServe RAID has been excellent, but Apple still only offers 180 GB
drives. That plus the NFS problems have led us to order a third-party
ATA RAID for the Linux server.

Ken
Re: IDL6.0 and Mac OS 10.3 [message #37466 is a reply to message #37373] Tue, 16 December 2003 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JD Smith is currently offline  JD Smith
Messages: 850
Registered: December 1999
Senior Member
On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 07:57:00 -0700, Ben Tupper wrote:

> Henry Roe wrote:
>> I upgraded to 10.3 on powerbook G4 a few weeks ago. Everything,
>> including IDL6.0, works fine except the version of GNUemacs I was using
>> stopped working. It took some hunting but I found a stable beta xemacs
>> which works with only one or two (non-significant and non-dangerous)
>> quirks.
>>
>> -Henry
>
> Hi,
>
> Which version of xemacs did you get working?
>
> I have made a (New Years's) resolution to use IDLWAVE but I have been
> unable to get emacs to work. It's the perfect excuse for not following
> my resolution, but I really have the time to learn emacs now!
>
> IDL 6.0 personal license on a G4 OS 10.3 (upgrade) works just fine for
> us.

Though I don't use OSX (yet), I thought I'd offer the following
observations regarding Emacs on OSX. The Carbon version of Emacs uses a
very new bleeding-edge Emacs source (21.3.50) which has given IDLWAVE
users problems when running the shell (it's unclear if it's the
newer-than-new Emacs version or the Carbon-based flavor which is the
culprit). The X11 versions of both Emacs and XEmacs are working without
problem. Since you need X11 to run IDL anyway, using an X-based Emacs
shouldn't be a problem.

JD
Re: IDL6.0 and Mac OS 10.3 [message #37467 is a reply to message #37373] Tue, 16 December 2003 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
henrygroe is currently offline  henrygroe
Messages: 30
Registered: August 2003
Member
> Which version of xemacs did you get working?

It says it's XEmacs 21.4 (patch 9). I have to admit I've now
forgotten where I downloaded it.

-henry
Re: IDL6.0 and Mac OS 10.3 [message #43177 is a reply to message #37466] Fri, 18 March 2005 13:48 Go to previous message
Ch. Konig is currently offline  Ch. Konig
Messages: 2
Registered: March 2005
Junior Member
> Though I don't use OSX (yet), I thought I'd offer the following
> observations regarding Emacs on OSX. The Carbon version of Emacs
uses a
> very new bleeding-edge Emacs source (21.3.50) which has given IDLWAVE
> users problems when running the shell (it's unclear if it's the
> newer-than-new Emacs version or the Carbon-based flavor which is the
> culprit). The X11 versions of both Emacs and XEmacs are working
without
> problem. Since you need X11 to run IDL anyway, using an X-based
Emacs
> shouldn't be a problem.
>
> JD

Sorry to dig up old threads but I wonder if anyone got the idl shell
working withing the Carbon Emacs (21.3.50)?

I have been trying but so far not successfully. It seems to start fine,
shows me correct (remote) license information and then just gets stuck
before showing me the 'IDL> '. The license server says that it's in
use, but I cannot do anything, rather my hold Emacs freezes until I
manually kill the idl thread.

The IDLWAVE FAQ mention a file '~/.MacOSX/environment.plist', which I
did not have and the creation of which (soft-linked to my .cshrc) did
not change anything.

Anybody knows? Everybody using fink's xemacs? I'd really like the
Carbon Emacs...

Thanks for any hints

Chris
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ] [ PDF ]

Current Time: Sun Nov 29 02:33:25 PST 2020

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00698 seconds