comp.lang.idl-pvwave archive
Messages from Usenet group comp.lang.idl-pvwave, compiled by Paulo Penteado

Show: Today's Messages :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
E-mail to friend
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: IDL license prices [message #2790] Thu, 15 September 1994 08:21
bowman is currently offline  bowman
Messages: 121
Registered: September 1991
Senior Member
In article <354m57$q7o@rubb.rz.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>,
christof@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de wrote:

> Has anybody (eg. in the US) made similar experience and found a better
> way out than forget about it and pay whatever they want?

We have been offered a very good site-license deal for PV-WAVE. I REALLY
don't want to switch, but I need more licenses than I can afford from RSI,
so I am seriously considering it. I am sure there will be some
incompatibilites between IDL and PV-WAVE, primarily in the newer
functions, but it may be our only alternative. I suggest you talk with
the Visual Numerics people. (I think I have the company name right. With
all the mergers and everything I can't keep up.)

This is not meant as a criticism of RSI. They should charge what it costs
to develop and support their product and make a profit. I hope they make
money, because then they can continue to improve and support IDL. I tend
to think, however, that they could increase their revenues without
dramatically increasing their support costs by appropriate site licensing
agreements. This might require limiting technical support to 1 or 2
contact persons, etc. As it is, I can't justify spending another $2800
for a license that can be used on only 1 machine, but I would gladly spend
$2800 if I could have a license on, say, 5 workstations. In this case, I
don't think it would increase their distribution or support costs at all.

Ken Bowman

--
Dr. Kenneth P. Bowman 409-862-4060
Associate Professor 409-862-4132 fax

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ] [ PDF ]

Current Time: Sun Nov 29 02:10:14 PST 2020

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00502 seconds