comp.lang.idl-pvwave archive
Messages from Usenet group comp.lang.idl-pvwave, compiled by Paulo Penteado

Show: Today's Messages :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
E-mail to friend
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: How 2 access to ubuntu in my office [message #78659] Sat, 17 December 2011 00:01 Go to next message
d.poreh is currently offline  d.poreh
Messages: 406
Registered: October 2007
Senior Member
On Dec 13, 10:32 am, DavePoreh <d.po...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 13, 2:35 am, Nigel Wade <nmw-n...@ion.le.ac.uk> wrote:

>>> thanks Matt. Putty is working just fine.
>>> Cheers,
>>> Dave
>
>> If you want to see graphical output, e.g. from IDL, then you will need
>> an X server. We use NX here (which would be free for you to install on
>> your home system), and vastly preferable to non-optimized X servers such
>> as eXceed due to the inbuilt compression of the X protocol which NX
>> provides.
>
>> However, I would not recommend using the full desktop over a home
>> network connection. I don't know Ubuntu so don't know what alternative
>> desktops it provides. We use openSUSE, and most users prefer the
>> reasonably lightweight XFCE desktop for remote sessions.
>
> Thanks. i tried NX but when i put my IP (destination) it shows me
> connection error. lets see what is wrong.
> Cheers,
> Dave

when i am trying to connect with NX it gives me some error. do you
think that i need to set st in my office ubuntu or not?
Cheers,
Dave
Re: How 2 access to ubuntu in my office [message #78724 is a reply to message #78659] Tue, 13 December 2011 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
d.poreh is currently offline  d.poreh
Messages: 406
Registered: October 2007
Senior Member
On Dec 13, 2:35 am, Nigel Wade <nmw-n...@ion.le.ac.uk> wrote:
> On 12/12/11 09:48, DavePoreh wrote:
>
>> On Dec 11, 10:06 pm, Matt Francis<mattjamesfran...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> If you don't need an X display then PuTTY (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/) is a free and relatively
>>> easy to use option for Windows. From memory Ubuntu I think
>>> installations by default don't have an ssh server installed. This is a
>>> help page for a slightly older Ubuntu install than the most up to
>>> date, but it should all still be correcthttps://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/openssh-s erver.html
>
>>> There may be some trickiness getting into your office machine though,
>>> depending on what security is in place at your workplace.
>
>> thanks Matt. Putty is working just fine.
>> Cheers,
>> Dave
>
> If you want to see graphical output, e.g. from IDL, then you will need
> an X server. We use NX here (which would be free for you to install on
> your home system), and vastly preferable to non-optimized X servers such
> as eXceed due to the inbuilt compression of the X protocol which NX
> provides.
>
> However, I would not recommend using the full desktop over a home
> network connection. I don't know Ubuntu so don't know what alternative
> desktops it provides. We use openSUSE, and most users prefer the
> reasonably lightweight XFCE desktop for remote sessions.

Thanks. i tried NX but when i put my IP (destination) it shows me
connection error. lets see what is wrong.
Cheers,
Dave
Re: How 2 access to ubuntu in my office [message #78731 is a reply to message #78724] Tue, 13 December 2011 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel Wade is currently offline  Nigel Wade
Messages: 286
Registered: March 1998
Senior Member
On 12/12/11 09:48, DavePoreh wrote:
> On Dec 11, 10:06 pm, Matt Francis<mattjamesfran...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If you don't need an X display then PuTTY (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/) is a free and relatively
>> easy to use option for Windows. From memory Ubuntu I think
>> installations by default don't have an ssh server installed. This is a
>> help page for a slightly older Ubuntu install than the most up to
>> date, but it should all still be correcthttps://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/openssh-s erver.html
>>
>> There may be some trickiness getting into your office machine though,
>> depending on what security is in place at your workplace.
>
> thanks Matt. Putty is working just fine.
> Cheers,
> Dave

If you want to see graphical output, e.g. from IDL, then you will need
an X server. We use NX here (which would be free for you to install on
your home system), and vastly preferable to non-optimized X servers such
as eXceed due to the inbuilt compression of the X protocol which NX
provides.

However, I would not recommend using the full desktop over a home
network connection. I don't know Ubuntu so don't know what alternative
desktops it provides. We use openSUSE, and most users prefer the
reasonably lightweight XFCE desktop for remote sessions.
Re: How 2 access to ubuntu in my office [message #78740 is a reply to message #78731] Mon, 12 December 2011 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
d.poreh is currently offline  d.poreh
Messages: 406
Registered: October 2007
Senior Member
On Dec 11, 10:06 pm, Matt Francis <mattjamesfran...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you don't need an X display then PuTTY (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/) is a free and relatively
> easy to use option for Windows. From memory Ubuntu I think
> installations by default don't have an ssh server installed. This is a
> help page for a slightly older Ubuntu install than the most up to
> date, but it should all still be correcthttps://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/openssh-s erver.html
>
> There may be some trickiness getting into your office machine though,
> depending on what security is in place at your workplace.

thanks Matt. Putty is working just fine.
Cheers,
Dave
Re: How 2 access to ubuntu in my office [message #78744 is a reply to message #78740] Sun, 11 December 2011 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matt Francis is currently offline  Matt Francis
Messages: 94
Registered: May 2010
Member
If you don't need an X display then PuTTY (http://
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/) is a free and relatively
easy to use option for Windows. From memory Ubuntu I think
installations by default don't have an ssh server installed. This is a
help page for a slightly older Ubuntu install than the most up to
date, but it should all still be correct
https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/openssh-server.h tml

There may be some trickiness getting into your office machine though,
depending on what security is in place at your workplace.
Re: How 2 access to ubuntu in my office [message #78745 is a reply to message #78744] Sat, 10 December 2011 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On Dec 10, 7:18 am, Russell <rryan....@gmail.com> wrote:
> That sorta depends on what you mean by "access".....  If you just want
> to log-in and use the basic linux commands, then you just need to get
> a secure-shell (which I think is probably free).  If you want to pass
> x-graphics (such as xclock), then you need an x-server of some sort on
> your windows machine.  I have found that hummingbird exceed works
> great, but is costly.  If you want to "screen share", and project your
> ubuntu screen on your windows machine, then you need to set up a VNC
> server.  I can't help you with this, since I primarily use Mac OSX
> (laptop, home computer, and workstation), and modern OSX has a
> screenshare app pre-installed.
>
> But this should get you moving the right direction.

> On Dec 10, 6:47 am, Poreh <d.po...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Folks
>> hi,
>> I have a none IDL question: i want to access to my ubuntu in office
>> from my windows in home. how can i do this to get my desktop there?
>> thanks for any help.
>> Cheers,
>> Dave

thanks. i just need to access to my ubuntu and run bash there and see
the outputs. is there any way to do with remote desktop?
Cheers,
Dave
Re: How 2 access to ubuntu in my office [message #78747 is a reply to message #78745] Sat, 10 December 2011 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell[1] is currently offline  Russell[1]
Messages: 101
Registered: August 2011
Senior Member
That sorta depends on what you mean by "access"..... If you just want
to log-in and use the basic linux commands, then you just need to get
a secure-shell (which I think is probably free). If you want to pass
x-graphics (such as xclock), then you need an x-server of some sort on
your windows machine. I have found that hummingbird exceed works
great, but is costly. If you want to "screen share", and project your
ubuntu screen on your windows machine, then you need to set up a VNC
server. I can't help you with this, since I primarily use Mac OSX
(laptop, home computer, and workstation), and modern OSX has a
screenshare app pre-installed.

But this should get you moving the right direction.

On Dec 10, 6:47 am, Poreh <d.po...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks
> hi,
> I have a none IDL question: i want to access to my ubuntu in office
> from my windows in home. how can i do this to get my desktop there?
> thanks for any help.
> Cheers,
> Dave
Re: How 2 access to ubuntu in my office [message #78807 is a reply to message #78659] Sat, 17 December 2011 09:48 Go to previous message
penteado is currently offline  penteado
Messages: 866
Registered: February 2018
Senior Member
Administrator
On Dec 17, 6:01 am, DavePoreh <d.po...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 13, 10:32 am, DavePoreh <d.po...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> If you want to see graphical output, e.g. from IDL, then you will need
>>> an X server. We use NX here (which would be free for you to install on
>>> your home system), and vastly preferable to non-optimized X servers such
>>> as eXceed due to the inbuilt compression of the X protocol which NX
>>> provides.
>
>>> However, I would not recommend using the full desktop over a home
>>> network connection. I don't know Ubuntu so don't know what alternative
>>> desktops it provides. We use openSUSE, and most users prefer the
>>> reasonably lightweight XFCE desktop for remote sessions.
>
>> Thanks. i tried NX but when i put my IP (destination) it shows me
>> connection error. lets see what is wrong.
>> Cheers,
>> Dave
>
> when i am trying to connect with NX it gives me some error. do you
> think that i need to set st in my office ubuntu or not?
> Cheers,
> Dave

The nx server has to be running on the computer you want to access.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ] [ PDF ]

Current Time: Sun Nov 29 03:05:11 PST 2020

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01129 seconds